Your Ideal Job
We work with our clients to help them develop a greater self-understanding so that they can move forward in their careers. Sometimes clients already know their ideal job, others need support to make a decision or explore options. We use written assignments, questionnaires and psychometric tests when appropriate.
Here are some questions to get you thinking (try and get your answers as specific as possible, for example "greater challenge" is vague ... what exactly does this mean to you?)
- What was my earliest ambition and how does that fit with my life now?
- What can I do now – what skills/knowledge do I bring?
- When was I happiest at work – what was I doing then?
- What am I most proud of in my working life?
- When have I been most satisfied at work?
- What am I really drawn towards?
- What gets me out of bed on a Monday morning?
- What are my needs and wants from my career?
- What makes me different from everyone else?
- Are there any "boxes" that I still need to tick for my own satisfaction?
- Is there anything getting in my way?
And try completing these sentences...
- In a perfect world I would...
- If I knew I wouldn't fail, I would...
Investing in a specialist career coach will enable you to think about these questions, define your transferable skills and help you find a way to fulfil your career goals. Contact us to find out more about how we can help you.
Reference: Nathan and Hill (2006).
"Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later… Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life."